Monday, June 18, 2007

What I did on 17 June 2007

On the day of the deadliest suicide bomb in Afghan history, I:
  • finished my morning coffee, wondering if the loud noise had really been a bomb.
  • donned my headscarf and walked the two blocks to the office, with eyes lowered to avoid men's attention.
  • interviewed someone that may become my boss (I hope he still wants to move to Kabul).
  • gasped as the number of dead passed 35, most of them instructors at the Kabul Police Academy.
  • edited a research paper on the struggle to reform the Afghan National Police.
  • posed for pictures with a Scottish friend wearing a kilt for the Queen's birthday party.
  • thought about the families of those who died.
  • went for a long swim in the UN pool, followed by a Heineken at the poolside bar.
  • asked myself whether I should really turn down law school admission this year.
  • tried on a burqa for the first time.
  • watched CNN and BBC footage of the carnage that had taken place five minutes from my house.
  • contemplated how life does not ever stop or pause, even in the face of disaster.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Anja - wspanialy blog! Nie spodziwalbym, ze bys pracowala w Afghanistanie kiedys.

I'm considering coming out to AFGH for a job next year, and I'd like to get your perspectives on it.

It's really been a long way since Krakow in 1998....Never would have guessed Kabul for you. Good to go.

Let's catch up - you can reach me at my work email, lesliecg "u" state "kropka" gov - rozumiesz?

Trzymaj sie - talk to you soon. Stay safe.

Chris Leslie

3:09 PM  
Blogger Eduardo Waghorn said...

Warm greetings from Chile,Southamerica!
A hug to you, I wish you succes on your work!

I simply dont know HOW, but I found you:)!

(Incredible:)

A swedish working at Afghanistan? Kabul?

Visit my blog if you want.

A hug

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home