Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Spring offensive?

In Kabul, in the news media, and in capitals of countries that have soldiers in Afghanistan, people are talking about the imminent onset of the Taliban's "spring offensive". The insurgent leaders have said that this will be "the bloodiest year ever" and that 2,000 suicide bombers are ready to attack once spring arrives. Thus, as the snow melts away from the mountains surrounding Kabul, I am dreading the day when our winter honeymoon of safety will be over. Waiting for that first attack that will break three months of silence in Kabul, I am a bit more on edge.

This morning, I had just gotten to the office and was chatting with my colleaugues when we all heard a loud bang. Nervously, I asked, "Was that a bomb?" The instant reply came from my petite and very girly Phillipino coworker: "No, that was just me passing gas!"

Even the Afghans were bent over laughing. We laughed for a long time, then we stopped, then we laughed some more. For me, that laugh was therapy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home