Sunday, April 01, 2007

Birthday

I like birthdays -- those of others as well as my own.

Today is my birthday, and it's a wonderful day: The sun is melting the last snow off the mountains, the city is quiet and smells of spring and rain, and fruit trees blossom in our yard. This morning O made me breakfast and a pink rose from an Afghan coworker waited on my desk. And despite Wednesday's suicide attack, the war somehow feels far away.

Looking back at the year that has passed since my last birthday, I conclude that it has been a good one. I have seen, felt and experienced more than I thought possible in such a short time, and though it has been tough at times, on balance the good has outweighed the bad. That's it for introspection today.

The best part of celebrating this birthday in Afghanistan is that, though I'm rapidly approaching 30, the Afghans still think I'm a teenager.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sylvana said...

Anja azizam,

Why I forgot my emergency dentist appointment this morning but remembered that today was your birthday, I do not know. Apparently, the bad conscience of a neglectful friend is more painful than an impacted molar =) Either way, I know that where you are, today is yesterday (in more ways than one, I suppose), but happy birthday, anyway! Niech zyje nam!

Sciskam mocno,
Sylvana

7:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home