Friday, April 13, 2007

Expat Bubble

It's Friday night, closing in on midnight, in Kabul's Shahr-i-Naw, or New City, neighborhood. Spring is here, my window is open as I sit by the computer, working. There is a party close by, foreigners only, and European dance music makes the warm air shiver as if it knew the degree of its own offensiveness. Friday is the holy day. Afghans don't throw loud parties. If I were the Taliban, I would bomb that noisy expat haven, if I were an ordinary Afghan, I would simply condemn it. Sometimes I wonder how clueless we are, us Westerners in our big cars and barbed-wired houses, trying to affect change in a country stuck in the 11th century. Our presence here is offensive to some, necessary to others, crucial to a few. Either way, nobody gave us permission to disturb the peace with our drunken parties and "foreign passports only" restaurants and clubs. It's disgusting. I need a drink.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Have a drink my dear and think about what life is all about.. Sweden miss you!

5:16 PM  
Blogger Eve Gould said...

I've conflicted feelings about this entry after reading down further about Women's Day. I don't feel there is any excuse for foreigners being inconsiderate, especially on a holy day, but you write about the unthinkable abuse that is not uncommon (toward women, girls, and some boys), and then I don't much give a fuck if the air is shivering with "I'm Too Sexy For Your (country)."

8:40 PM  
Blogger Annatopia said...

Hey Anja - I must have to say "thank you" for posting this and for having the balls to say it. I struggled with this in CAmbodia - how to make a small positive impact without dragging the western debauchery in with me...we claim to be so global, so open minded...if you can't leave "I'm too sexy for you" behind, we leave at all?

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home